Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Junk Anchorage, Penang


I had to switch clans. I'm now using the Lim Jetty. Some jerk over at the Chew Jetty cut my dinghy's stern anchor line. Spring tides are in a few days so I'll go through the mud looking for it.

On the way to the Lim Jetty I pass this sailboat (photo). Locally owned daysailer? Maybe a foreigner who flew out and bought something small to cruise just this area? It turns out that "Fidji," a 27ft Dufour, has been continuously cruised by a French Singlehandler since 1986. The skipper had me over for coffee this morning and I was regaled with tales of criss crossing the Indian Ocean countless times, a dismasting off the coast of Columbia, pre GPS challenges... Geez, I thought I was earning a few stripes hitting the two year mark. How about twenty two? If you look at the photo you can see how minimalist a set up the boat is. Atom windvane, stock non self tailing winches. Rope rode, no windlass, few electronics. In comparison, I felt like the weekend warrior with all the expensive accessories... I know I've made other yachties feel that way so I guess everyone gets their turn. I did come away from the visit knowning that you can only get there by actually spending another twenty of your years. There ain't no way to cheat.