Thursday, April 21, 2011

Still in Marina Seca Guaymas...

A friend of mine in Thailand recently sent me scanned versions of the write I up I received back in early 2009 in TTO magazine (thanks again to Sarah Dixon).  I have put the rest of the scanned article on the page that originally contained the link to the online version (now dead). 

One of the benefits of having a bit of cruising experience is understanding the range of cruisers out there.  The couple of weeks I have spent here in Marina Seca Guyamas has been a reminder of this as the range has significantly narrowed.  I have met cruisers who are surprised and even shocked to learn I have just recently completed a singlehanded circumnavigation aboard an Alberg 35.  I guess I don't fit the profile...  (Maybe it is the hank on headsails).  One thing I do know is it says more about their lack of exposure than anything about me.   There is no profile!  Some may think an Alberg 35 too small a boat.  What about Carina whom I met in Thailand when he came along side looking for a ride to the beach because he has no dinghy (boat already is a dinghy).  Others may think I am on too low a budget.  What about Emily, whom I first met in Mexico, whose first cruising boat cost $900.  I met her again in Panama City years later circumnavigating on her second boat which cost a whopping $12K (sponsorship help).  Others may think that a circumnavigation is too vast an undertaking.  What about Bob and Glenda on Nero whom I met in Madagascar who are on their fifth circumnavigation.   The farther you get away from the marina back home, the less accurate the yachtie stereotypes become...

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.